Ankle boots are great staple piece that are stylish and will add interest to any look throughout most of the year. Whether you have not jumped on the ankle boot wagon or you have some but you feel stuck on when/how to wear them, read on for some tips!
WHEN TO WEAR ANKLE BOOTS
Ankle boots can be worn throughout the fall, winter, and spring... and even summer if you live in a mild place like LA. Wear them with jeans, pants, skirts, dresses and shorts!
TIPS: HOW TO WEAR ANKLE BOOTS
1. Wear ankle boots with skinny jeans, straight leg jeans, boyfriend jeans (almost any jeans except for looser fitting jeans tucked in).
2. It's best for jeans or pants to hit 1/2 to 1 inch above the boot to elongate the leg, whether that is their natural length or you fold them up, unless the jeans/pants are skinny fit or leggings.
3. Wear ankle boots with skirts and dresses. The pointier the toe and the more a boot has a heel, the dressier it will be.
4. For boots that can be casual and worn all the time, look for a more rounded toe and lower heel.
5. Transition your favorite summer looks for fall by trading in sandals for ankle boots with your favorite shorts and summer dresses.
6. Another tip to elongate the leg is to choose an ankle boot that dips down and shows some of the ankle. See Asos #2 and Steve Madden #3 boots below. These are an ultra-flattering cut (especially the Asos one because the dip is in the front)!
7. Wear ankle boots with a maxi dress but be sure some of your leg can be seen so it doesn't look bottom-heavy (e.g. with a slit or the dress ending higher).
8. Experiment with colors beyond black and brown. Burgundy, leopard prints, and snake prints will go with almost anything.
9. Choose boots with a heel if you want to elongate the legs. Even if you want to wear them casually, a small heel will still have this effect.
10. To avoid any hint of looking "stumpy," the boot should hit just above the ankle and be notably wider than your leg.
Below I've listed some of my favorite current ankle boots. Look for the notes about why some of the stores they are from are so great!
All of these offer some type of free shipping making shopping from home a breeze, some even have free return shipping (see specific details below).